To quickly respond to this question: Yes, it is still possible to Unlock an iPhone.
iPhone Unlocking started from the first iPhone and it is still possible and being used by thousands of people.
The methods haven’t changed a lot, but it is wise to know which method is ideal specifically for you, since every case is unique (Well, almost unique!).
Throughout iPhone Unlocking History, the available Unlocking methods are the following:
- Software iPhone Unlocking
- Hardware iPhone Unlocking
- Official IMEI iPhone Unlocking
- SIM Lock Removal Request through Lock Carrier
To this article, we will focus on the only FREE Unlock method, which is the SIM Lock Removal request solution.
iPhone Unlocking through Lock Carrier
This is a very straight forward method; You need to call the Mobile Network that is locking your iPhone and ask them to remove the SIM-Lock.
A lot Mobile Networks have a “special” URL for SIM-Lock removal requests, but not all of them support this very convenient way of requesting an iPhone Unlock. They all support iPhone Unlocking through phone and through one of their stores.
It is required by them to explain in simple words their Unlocking Policies and make the whole iPhone Unlocking request process easy for their subscribers.
From our 10+ years of experience, we can say that all of the Mobile Networks (We dealt with over 500 Carriers) have an “Unlock Policy” link to their footer area, but they still have many restrictions and complex policies.
Contacting Lock Carrier for a SIM Unlock request
Before initiating the iPhone Unlocking, you need to know what network is locking your device (Obviously!).
If you don’t, you can quickly find it by following one of the tips below:
- (FREE) Ask the “guy” that sold you this iPhone
- (FREE) Check the SIM-Card of the iPhone – The carrier’s logo should be visible somewhere on top of it
- (FREE – But time consuming) If you live in a country with only a few Mobile Networks, call them all and ask them to unlock your iPhone (If your iPhone is not locked to them, they will inform you that this IMEI number is not registered to them)
- (PAID – But Instant) Get an iPhone IMEI Check service to find instantly who is locking your iPhone (Also, you will learn if it is under contract, has unpaid bills, is reported as Lost or Stolen and if it is iCloud Locked)
If your iPhone is locked by a USA Network, you can quickly find how to request an iPhone Unlock from this page.
If your iPhone is locked by a UK Network, you can quickly find how to request an iPhone Unlock from this page.
Conclusions and Tips for iPhone Unlocking through Lock Carrier
It goes without saying that Unlocking your iPhone by calling the Lock carrier should be your FIRST move.
It is the Official way of doing it (The others are legal too of course) and the only one that might not even cost you a cent.
TIP #1: Some Mobile Networks will ask you some personal information in order to verify that you are the Original Owner of that device. Always have handy the Original Purchase receipt of your iPhone.
TIP #2: If you are the original owner of that iPhone, you can always login to your Carrier’s account (Like “My T-Mobile” or “My Softbank”), and do the SIM Lock removal request through there.
TIP #3: The main concern of a Carrier is to be sure that you are the current owner of that device, so try to gather as much evidence of that as you can (A Contract Bill payment will help a lot).
TIP #4: Make sure to ask if the SIM Lock removal request is for FREE. Some Networks might charge you for up to $30.