AT&T is one of the very few US networks (perhaps the only one), which lets you check your iPhone’s status and request an AT&T Unlock online, completely free of charge.
Like any other mobile network, they have their very own ATT unlock iPhone policy with specific requirements.
So let’s see how someone can make a free ATT device unlock request and what you can do if your device does not really meet the unlocking requirements.
Updated on 03/27/2019
Unlock AT&T iPhone requirements
Although they are not the only ones, there are the most basic conditions of AT&T unlock policy
- Your device is locked by AT&T (obvious)
- Your iPhone isn’t lost, stolen, or involved with illegal activities (to put it simply, you can’t unlock a Blacklisted iPhone)
- No outstanding financial balances (unpaid bills or installment plan)
- Your iPhone can’t be active on another AT&T customer’s account.
- At least 60 days have passed with an activated contract
At this stage, however, you do not need to know any of the above, except that your device is actually locked by AT&T.
How to Unlock AT&T iPhone for free with an ATT Unlock Device portal
The process is very simple. Just follow the instructions below
- Go to ATT.com/deviceunlock
- Click on the “Unlock a device” option
- Choose if you are an AT&T customer or not
- If you are a customer, you will need to provide the AT&T Mobile Number of the device
- If you are not a customer, you will need to provide the IMEI of the device (Dial *#06# on your device to find the IMEI)
- Regardless of your option, the next steps are the same
- The URL will get updated and AT&T will identify the “Manufacturer” and the “Model” of your Smartphone
- Prove you are not a robot (reCAPTCH) and check the “Yes, I’ve read the legal stuff and agree to the device unlock eligibility requirements.” checkbox and finally, tap “Next”
- If your AT&T iPhone is eligible for unlock then the screen below will appear
- All you have to do is fill in all the fields
- First name & Last name
- Mobile Number (You can use any phone number)
- e-mail address
- Click on the “Submit” button
- Almost instantly, a message will be sent to your e-mail
- You need to click on the “Confirm” link in order to initiate the AT&T Unlock Request
- The only thing left is waiting for AT&T’s response. They usually respond within 2 business days
- If all went well then you will receive the email below
Congratulations. You have just unlocked your AT&T iPhone for free!
What happens if ATT Unlock request is rejected
As you understand, in most cases AT&T will reject your request.
This means that the iPhone cannot be unlocked for free but do not worry, it’s not the end of the world.
There are solutions, other cheaper and other more expensive depending on the situation.
- When there is an outstanding balance
- When the iPhone is active on another AT&T account
- When the iPhone is blacklisted by AT&T
How to unlock AT&T iPhone when there is an outstanding balance
In the overwhelming majority, the free unlocking of an AT&T device will stop with this message:
As I already mentioned unpaid bills or a pending installment plan makes an AT&T iPhone ineligible for SIM Unlocking.
But in this case, things are very simple.
There is a SEMI_Premium AT&T USA IMEI Unlock service, which supports specifically AT&T USA iPhones that are not Paid Off (Unpaid Bills or other Outstanding Financial Balances).
Updated on 12/09/2019
With an AT&T USA Unpaid Bills / Outstanding Financial Balance Network IMEI Unlock service, you will:
- Remove the AT&T SIM-Lock from your iPhone
- Start using other USA SIM-Cards
- Travel abroad and use any SIM-Card you want
- Enjoy a Permanent SIM Unlock of your iPhone
But keep in mind that in case of unpaid bills piled up or the installment plan is not paid off in time you will not be able to use AT&T SIM cards anymore.
How to unlock AT&T iPhone when it is active on another account
Although not so often (Around 20% of our users reported it), there are quite a few cases in which AT&T will not unlock your mobile because it is active on the account of another customer.
Again the solution can be found from the above service. Simply pick “Active on Account” option, and proceed with an unlock.
How to unlock AT&T iPhone when it is blacklisted
We all know that a blacklisted iPhone is very difficult to get unlocked.
The same goes for Unblacklisting an AT&T USA iPhone.
Within our 10 years of working with iPhone Unlocking & Unblacklisting services, we have seen many services arise and many to fall.
This is happening because those “PREMIUM” services are not very stable.
You need to purchase them as soon as they get online, because their “life expectancy” can be from 1 to 2 weeks.
In the case of AT&T, there was a working AT&T USA Unblacklist service 3 weeks ago which worked just fine!
Unfortunately, this service is OFFLINE for the time being, but there is a solution for you.
With the IMEI AT&T USA Unblacklist Pre-Order service, you will:
- Pre-Order of an AT&T USA IMEI Unlock & Unblacklist service for your iPhone
- Full check of your iPhone to verify your iPhone’s status and add you to our waiting list.
- Secure a place to our Priority list for the next available batch, to Unlock & Unblacklist your AT&T USA iPhone Fast & Permanently (For 100% success rate).
Unlock ATT iPhone: Conclusion
A locked iPhone is never good news, but at least AT&T gives us the opportunity to unlock it free under conditions.
Visit the ATT unlock device unlock portal and take your chances. It won’t cost you a thing.
Regardless of the outcome, however, there are external solutions to unlock an AT&T iPhone no matter what.
You might want to also check: How to switch from Verizon to AT&T