Updated on 05/20/2019
Each method takes about 1-2 minutes and you do not need to know much about iPhone or be tech-savvy.
- Check iPhone Lock status via Settings (Software) – 2 minutes
- Check iPhone Lock status using SIM-Cards (Hardware) – 2 minutes
- Remote iPhone Lock status check using IMEI Check (Online) – 10 seconds
How do i know if an iPhone is unlocked? 3 ways to find out
It’s very easy to check if your iPhone is unlocked or locked to a carrier with the above three quick and easy ways. You can check it through iPhone settings, using a second SIM card or with an instant iPhone IMEI SIM-Lock Check.
The first 2 methods require the physical presence of the iPhone so you can review its settings and test other SIM cards. The third method has the ability to tell if your iPhone is unlocked remotely (anywhere in the world).
The first 2 methods are completely free, since all you have to do is to check iPhone’s settings or test a few SIM-Cards. However, the third method is a paid service, since it needs to access non-public databases which require a small fee.
1 – How to tell if iPhone is unlocked without sim card – iOS Settings
Since many users are asking us how to find out if their iPhone is unlocked without using other SIM cards, we found this method that can show you if your iPhone is locked or unlocked (There is some margin of error though).
- (Step 1) Power ON your iPhone
- (Step 2) Tap on “Settings” and then go to “Cellular”
- If you can find the “Cellular Data Network” tab then most likely your iPhone is Unlocked
- If you do not see this option (The “Cellular Data Network”), then most likely your iPhone is Locked by a Mobile Network
- (Step 3) Power OFF your iPhone and eject the SIM-Card
- (Step 4) Re-do the whole process from Step 2
- If without the SIM-Card the “Cellular Data Network” is there, then there are high chances that your iPhone is Unlocked
Unfortunately, this method is not 100% accurate, because the presence of the “Cellular” option alone does not mean that it is definitely unlocked. However, its absence is very likely to mean that your iPhone is locked.
Another drawback of this method is that it can not tell you which provider the iPhone is locked to.
2 – How do you know if an iPhone is locked – Using 2 SIM Cards
With this method, you can definitely tell if your iPhone is locked or not.
It is a very simple method and requires at least 2 SIM cards (if you have more, even better!).
- (Step 1) Power OFF your iPhone
- (Step 2) Insert the first SIM-Card inside SIM-Tray (Use the appropriate tools to eject the SIM-Tray to be 100% sure that you will not damage it – Read Apple’s Guide on Switching SIM-Cards)
- (Step 3) Power ON your iPhone
- (Step 4) Check your iPhone’s Screen
- (Step i) If it shows a “SIM not supported” or “SIM Invalid” message, then your iPhone is Locked
- (Step ii) If you can normally access the Home Screen but you cannot make any phone calls, your iPhone might have a different kind of a lock (Maybe Blacklisted)
- (Step iii) If you can make phone calls, then this means that this SIM-Card it allowed (It is not 100% sure that your iPhone is Unlocked)
- (Step 5) Power OFF your iPhone again and insert the second SIM-Card
- (Step 6) Power ON your iPhone and check your iPhone’s Screen
- (Step i) If it shows again the “Step 4i” error codes, then your iPhone is definitely locked to a mobile network
- (Step ii) If you can access the Home Page but you cannot make any phone calls, then your iPhone is Unlocked for sure, but most likely it is Blacklisted
- (Step iii) If you can make phone calls, then your iPhone is Unlocked (At least inside the country you currently live in)
With this method, you can be 100% sure if your IPhone is locked, but not if it is unlocked for all carriers worldwide.
If you have other SIM cards in your possession, then you can try them too. If you are lucky and you find a SIM card that lets you make phone calls, then the provider of this SIM is also the lock carrier (The network in which that iPhone is locked to).
3 – How to check if iPhone is unlocked with an IMEI Checker
This method can check if your iPhone is unlocked or locked remotely within seconds.
All you need to know is your iPhone’s IMEI number.
Companies offering IMEI Check services have access to databases (GSX & GSMA databases) used by Apple and providers to identify the lock status of all iPhones.
By accessing these databases, they guarantee accurate & real-time results, meaning that after completing the service you will know exactly if your iPhone is unlocked or not and to which carrier.
UnlockSpector.com has individual IMEI Check services that can find SIM Lock status or Lock Network Identification, while iPhoneUnlock.Zone offers a complete package with SIM-Lock, Network Identification, Blacklist & iCloud status.
|Comparison of Services||UnlockSpector.com||iPhoneUnlock.Zone|
|Network Identification Check||Supported||Supported|
|Blacklist Status Check||Supported||Supported|
|Financial / Contract Check||Supported||Supported|
|IMEI Replacement Check||Supported||Not Supported|
|Delivery Time||Up to 10 seconds||Up to 10 seconds|
|Type of Services||Individual & Package||Only as Package|
So, what is the best way to check whether iPhone is unlocked or not?
If you have the option to take a close look of the iPhone, then we suggest trying the first 2 methods. If you are lucky, you will be able to understand if the iPhone is locked or not.
If it’s impossible to check iPhone’s settings or try different SIM cards, iPhone IMEI Check services is the only solution for you. You will be absolutely sure if the iPhone is unlocked within a few seconds.
The majority of our visitors use iPhone IMEI Check services to save time and to be 100% confident about their iPhone status.
For our part, we also highly recommend IMEI Check services from UnlockSpector and iPhoneUnlock.Zone.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: