In this post, I will show you how to check if an iPhone is original using the IMEI Number.
This process requires a Complete iPhone IMEI Unlock Check and I will describe in detail why it is the only way to draw safe and accurate conclusions.
Updated on May 19, 2020.
Ways to spot a fake iPhone just by looking at it
There are many ways to check if an iPhone is genuine before you buy it but there is one condition: You need to be able to hold the iPhone in your hands.
There is usually no reason to worry if you will be buying a new iPhone from an Apple Store or an authorized reseller. In rare cases, you might have issues like Chimaera Device Policy but most of the time, you can easily resolve them with the seller’s help.
However, buying primarily a used but also new iPhone from unauthorized retailers or worse from someone through an online market needs special attention.
Although there are plenty of iPhone replicas relating to Apple’s design, none can duplicate functionality, performance, and most notably the iOS.
So let’s see how you can identify a fake iPhone from the original iDevice.
1. Check the Serial Number
The box of purchase always displays the serial number of the iPhone on the back side.
Turn the iPhone box over
But because boxes are extremely susceptible to forgery, it is always best to verify it by going to
Settings> General> About > Serial Number
You can find some manufacturing information about the iPhone from the letters and numbers of the serial code.
Of course, the list of what goes into each piece of the serial number is huge, but if you have enough free time, you can find what it means.
According to Macrumors Apple plans to switch to totally randomized Serial Numbers in the near future, probably in late 2020 or in 2021.
1.2. Check Apple Warranty
Apple provides a one-year limited warranty on all of its new devices.
Entering the serial number on the Apple checkcoverage page will show:
- iPhone model
- Purchase Date
- Warranty period
- Telephone Technical Support status (lasts one month on new devices)
- Repairs and Service Coverage Status (this is the actual Apple Warranty)
If the iPhone is fake then none of the above information will appear.
Some claim that you can also tell when an iPhone is blacklisted but that’s not true. This app will show if the iPhone has been replaced which doesn’t automatically mean that the device is blacklisted.
If the warranty period has expired or is not available, this means that the iPhone is used.
2. Look for a memory card slot
iPhones never had a slot to insert a memory card and get extra storage.
If the device you are about to buy has an external memory card slot, then it is clearly an iPhone clone.
3. Look for an extra SIM slot
Since the iPhone XS, Apple supports dual SIM service with eSIM.
However, the second SIM slot is not a physical one but a built-in chip inside the iPhone that functions as a virtual SIM card. As long as a Mobile Network supports eSIM, you just need to install and use it.
However, there is a limited number of iPhone XR and an iPhone XS Max with dual-sim card slots that were released in China and Macau. With the only exception of these two models, there is no iPhone with two SIM Trays.
4. Check for iOS default apps
Only original iPhones support the iOS operating system and of course, it comes with a number of pre-installed default apps as soon as you turn it on.
If something looks a bit off then, you are dealing with a fake iPhone.
However, many scammers have done a great job and in this area and so, it is quite easy not to spot the differences.
For this reason, it would be preferable to try using these apps, with Siri first and foremost since it can’t work on non-genuine iPhones.
6. Check iPhone Physical Appearance
Usually, the quality of a fake iPhone is dramatically poor.
However, some fake iPhone makers can mimic the original and make the fake iPhone look very similar to the original.
Generally, you need to be very familiar with the features of the original iPhone model to see if there is a mismatch.
Why checking if an iPhone is genuine without the IMEI is not enough?
Unfortunately, nothing of the above is possible without holding the iPhone in your hands. But let’s face it, most purchases are made through online markets so you need a better way to check the iPhone’s authenticity.
Most importantly, you should not only make sure that the iPhone is original but also unlocked or to put it better, you should be absolutely sure that the iPhone is exactly what the product description claims.
- Will you be able to use your SIM Card?
- If not, is there a way to unlock it?
- Even if you know that there is an unlock service, is the iPhone eligible?
- Do you know where to find this service at the best price with permanent results?
- Was the iPhone stolen?
- Is the device still active on the previous owner’s Mobile Network account?
- Are there outstanding financial balances such as pending contract bills or a device installment plan?
- Is the iPhone still linked with the previous owner’s Apple ID and password?
It’s extremely important to have these answers in mind before you buy a used iPhone, but even more important if you’ve already bought one.
Unfortunately, you have already spent money on a device that you cannot use in the current state and you will probably need more to repair it.
So rather than just letting things happen, you can take matters into your own hands.
Complete IMEI Unlock Check: The best way to check if an iPhone is original & UNLOCKED
Without having to be an expert or guessing what the problem is and the next moves, a Complete IMEI Unlock Check is the best way to avoid headaches.
- It will immediately reveal to you if the iPhone is authentic but also its complete history.
- Even if it turns out to be problematic you will know why it is locked and if there are right services to unlock it
- Instead of getting the unlock service from a random supplier of questionable reputation, you will be offered the best service, with the best chances of success at the lowest possible price through a network of more than 1500 top quality suppliers.
- All suggested services have been tested by iPhone Unlock experts and are 100% guaranteed
- Full support and guidance 24/7 at every step
Original? Unlocked? Repairable?