iPhone’s IMEI number is the key behind all unlocking services and so much more. Let’s find out exactly what the IMEI number is, how to find it on every iPhone and of course what it is for.
Updated on 12/09/2019
With an iPhone IMEI Unlock Check Service, you will find the following information only with the IMEI Number of your iPhone (Among many others):
- If your iPhone is SIM-Locked or not
- What Carrier is locking your iPhone
- If it is inside a Carrier’s Blacklist (Reported as Lost, Stolen or Fraud)
- What available methods or services exist to Unlock it
What is the IMEI Number of an iPhone?
IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity. This is a unique 15-digit code, which is essentially the identity of each iPhone on planet earth.
Imagine it as the vehicle identification number (VIN) used in the automobile industry or even better as your very own police ID.
Networks and Apple use the IMEI number to identify valid iDevices and of course, lock or blacklist any of them at will.
The Difference Between IMEI and SIM Card Number
It should be pointed out that the iPhone IMEI number has absolutely no relation to the SIM card number.
The SIM number identifies the customer’s network account, while the IMEI only recognizes the iPhone.
The iPhone IMEI Info
If you believe that IMEI includes information only about the iPhone’s origin, model, and serial number then I have news for you.
IMEI numbers are stored in 2 huge databases:
In this way, Apple and Carriers add or change ALL iPhone IMEI info up to the smallest detail.
I think you now understand why IMEI is the ultimate identity of an iPhone because it not only contains its manufacturing info but mainly its full state at any given time.
Can iPhone IMEI number be changed?
While iPhone IMEΙ info can be changed at any time, IMEI remains exactly the same no matter what.
However, some slick hustlers have found ways to change it by illegally replacing the iPhone’s logic board to unlock the SIM or iCloud Lock or remove the blacklist.
It goes without saying that this tactic is totally illegal but also pointless because sooner or later the scam will be revealed and the iPhone will be blacklisted as replaced without any hope of using it again.
How to get the IMEI number on iPhone
Since the iPhone IMEI number is the Alpha and the Omega, let’s see in what ways you can find it at ease.
How to find my iPhone IMEI with the phone app
Simply call *#06# with your iPhone. You do not need a mobile network connection to make this call.
The 15-digit number that will be generated is the IMEI of this device.
How to get the IMEI Number through IOS Settings
Just go to Settings > General > About and scroll down until you see the IMEI. Simple as that!
How to find IMEI on iPhone using iTunes
In this case, there are 2 options
- With the iPhone
- Plug the iPhone into a PC
- Open iTunes
- Select your iPhone
- Select the ”Summary” tab
- Click on the ”Phone Number
- The 15-digit number you are seeing is the IMEI number
- Without the iPhone
- Use the latest iTunes version
- Go to an iDevice backup
- Open preferences in iTunes I
- Windows: Go to Edit > Preferences
- Mac: Go to iTunes > Preferences
- Select the “Devices” tab.
- Hover the mouse over the backup iPhone
- It will display the IMEI number
How to get IMEI: iPhone backside
You can find the IMEI number printed on the back of some iPhone models. As it turned out, it was extremely easy to counterfeit so Apple has abandoned this tactic.
With caution, you will find the IMEI on the back of:
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone 5C
- iPhone 5
Find IMEI on the iPhone box of purchase
The original packaging of an iPhone always has the IMEI number written somewhere. Usually in the back.
Unfortunately, this label can also be forged easily.
Find the IMEI number on the iPhone’s SIM tray
You can also find the IMEI number engraved on the SIM Tray of most iPhone models.
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 4s
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3Gs
- iPhone 3G
Once again you have to be careful as the number may be faked
How to get IMEI number on iPhone if locked in iCloud
If you bought a used iPhone that is iCloud Locked, it is not wise to trust the parts where I explained that the IMEI is displayed.
In this case, you can very easily find it without a doubt by clicking the i icon as soon as you turn on the iPhone.
How to use the IMEI number of an iPhone
Its uses… multiple and valuable!
- You can check a used iPhone before you buy it. It would be best to force the seller to send you a small video showing IMEI in ALL the ways I showed above so you wouldn’t fall victim to fraud.
- You can get an Apple IMEI number check before you unlock an iPhone. Your device may have more issues or a different one than you think. Even worse, quite often people buy unlocking services while the iPhone is already unlocked.
- You can SIM Unlock an iPhone. Whether you choose a Mobile Network’s unlocking services or an IMEI Unlock service the absolutely necessary information is the iPhone IMEI number.
- You can iCloud Unlock an iPhone. In fact, the only real service is based solely on IMEI although I urge you to read more about iCloud Unlock on the link Ι provided.
- You can remove an iPhone from the Blacklist. Yes, the iPhone IMEI is also essential in any unblacklist service.
Here you go. Now you know everything about IMEI. Find it and act accordingly!
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 4.9 / 5. Vote count: 1687