The vast majority of our articles about iCloud Unlock are mostly focused on people who bought a used iPhone and it proved to be iCloud Locked. But what happens when you are the original owner and you simply forgot Apple ID password?
How to reset your Apple ID when forgot Apple ID password
Personally, I use software like LastPass and iCloud Keychain in order to avoid issues like this. Of course, I started using apps like these because I also forgot my Apple ID password a few years back.
Anyway, there are three procedures to follow in order to gain access to your Apple ID once again. For all of them, you will have to visit iforgot.apple.com and choose among:
- Email Authentication
- Security Questions
- Two-Factor Authentication (only if enabled for this Apple ID)
Resetting your Apple ID password through iforgot.apple.com
This procedure starts the same but at one point you will be asked to choose an email address or security questions.
- Go to appleid.apple.com
- Enter your Apple ID and continue
- Choose “I need to reset my password” and continue
- Now you have 2 options:
- Get an email or
- Answer security questions
1. Reset Apple ID password with the email option
- Select “Get an email” click continue and Done
- Check the email inbox because have just received “How to reset your Apple ID password” from Apple.
- Open it and choose Reset now
- Enter a new password (2 times in order to confirm it)
- Just choose Reset Password and you are done
Of course, you won’t be able to use this option if you forgot Apple ID password AND the email you used. Thankfully, there is also the security questions option
2. Reset Apple ID Password with your Security Questions
- Choose “Answer Security questions“
- Enter your birthday and continue.
- Answer the two security questions you have set when you created this Apple ID account you’re given and continue
Like before with the email authentification, enter your new password and press Reset now.
How to reset your Apple ID Password when two-factor authentication is enabled
Two -Factor Authentication is a great security option which comes in handy for many situations and of course, when you forgot Apple ID password.
- Once again go to iforgot.apple.com and enter your Apple ID email address.
- Fill in the phone number which is associated with the Apple ID and continue
- Choose one of the devices which are connected to this Apple ID and continue
- Choose Allow, enter the passcode of the iDevice you’ve chosen and press done
- Enter a new Apple ID password 2 times and verify
- Tap Next. and you are done.
Now you have a brand new Apple ID password. And you know what to do if you forget it again.
What to do when you forgot Apple ID password, email address and Security Questions
All the option above, require to remember your Apple ID email or your security questions. In case you don’t remember even them, then you should contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Store with proof of purchase of the iPhone you want to iCloud Unlock.
Keep in mind that these solutions are only available to iPhone original owners who really forgot Apple ID Password. If you just bought a used iCloud Locked iPhone then you should really read our iCloud Unlock Guide.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 1