Since May 2015 a lot of things changed in Japan and one of them is how to unlock a SoftBank iPhone and use any SIM Card you want.
There are 2 methods to SIM free your SoftBank iPhone:
- Through My SoftBank app (You need to speak and understand Japanese)
- Through SoftBank iPhone IMEI Unlock method
Of course, I will tell you everything about all of them and you can decide how to proceed.
Can You Unlock SoftBank iPhone?
Usually, when I write about iPhone Unlocking I insist when you are an original owner you can just contact your Carrier, find out about their SIM Unlock Policy and use the Mobile Network’s Services.
Of course, I still do but when you deal with a SoftBank iPhone even being the original owner with an active contract might not help.
On the other hand, many people are still getting used Softbank iPhones through eBay, Amazon, Craigslist or other online shops, but they are not able to use them properly because they are SIM Locked.
So, if you are a second-hand SoftBank iPhone owner things might look really challenging and to tell you the truth, they are. But don’t worry there is a solution.
But let’s find out why SoftBank iPhone Unlock seems impossible (but it isn’t)
The problems when you try to unlock an iPhone in Japan
The Softbank carrier was always one of the most difficult networks to unlock. In fact, there was never a real Unlock Softbank iPhone service, because the Softbank Company did not allow the users to unlock them at all until 2015. You were totally stuck with them!!!
The biggest problem is the SoftBank SIM Free iPhone Policy. As you will see, SoftBank is doing anything it can to stop you from unlocking your iPhone. This is why there are so many locked Softbank iPhones up to this date and many frustrated people are constantly looking for a solution.
There are countless websites advertising that they have some kind of software that could unlock a SoftBank iPhone in 10 minutes. But there is no software which can do that. There used to be Software SIM Unlock using Ultrasn0w after jailbreaking your iPhone but this method stopped working with iPhone 4 and iOS 6.1.6.
Needless to say that all who tried to unlock a Softbank iPhone in the past with Software SIM Unlock are still crying over their money because all of these services are scams.
Also, some of these sites offer hardware unlock (like R-SIM, GPP SIM and Turbo SIM) which is a very dangerous SIM Free method and the failure rate is over 60% among all other problems.
So in short, there are no software OR hardware unlocking methods for your Softbank iPhone!!!
How to SIM Free a SoftBank iPhone using My SoftBank App
Unfortunately, unlocking your Softbank Japan iPhone through the Carrier is extremely difficult. Not only their requirements are insane, but it is only for those who know how to speak Japanese.
Like any other Mobile Network, SoftBank has its own iPhone Unlock Policy but everything is extremely complicated. Let me give you just a small example.
I could go on forever but you can visit www.softbank.jp and find out more about SoftBank’s SIM Free Policy.
As long as all the above are covered, you can use My Softbank App and unlock your iPhone for free or go to a SoftBank Shop and pay ￥3,000 in order to unlock it.
The procedure is very simple as long as:
- You know how to read Japanese
- You have a My Softbank account
- The SoftBank iPhone is not blacklisted
- You meet the requirements I show you above plus a few more
- So, is iPhone SIM Free through My SoftBank impossible? No.
- Can you do it if you are the original owner? Yes.
- Is this solution available to people who bought a second-hand SoftBank iPhone? Unfortunately, no.
Softbank iPhone IMEI Unlock Method
If you are not the original owner and subscriber of the Softbank iPhone you want to SIM Free, then using a third party Official iPhone Unlock provider is the only guaranteed solution.
The SoftBank iPhone IMEI Unlock (also known as Factory iPhone Unlock) uses your iPhone’s IMEI number (which at the same time is the ID of your iDevice) and changes the SIM Lock Status in GSMA Database from Locked to UNLOCKED, so next time you restore your iPhone, it will be recognized as Unlocked, from both Apple and all Mobile Networks worldwide.
As I said, even if you are the original owner, there is no reason to dive into SoftBank Chaos or get frustrated when they refuse to SIM Free your iDevice.
UltraSnow SoftBank iPhone Unlock Suggestions
- We saw that it is totally possible to unlock a SoftBank iPhone.
- If you are the original owner you can either use My SoftBank (or at least try to) or an iPhone IMEI Unlock Service which is a paid service but it is permanent and easier to accomplish. (way easier)
- If you are the owner of a used SoftBank iPhone then Factory Unlocking is the only way. The good news is that this service supports all iPhone models and it will take 10 days maximum in order to complete.
- There are no Hardware or Software SoftBank iPhone Unlock Solutions (don’t get scammed by using either of them)
- A solid iPhone Unlock Provider will always suggest an IMEI Check if you are not sure about the overall status of your iPhone. (In my opinion, you should never try to unlock an iPhone, especially a refurbished one, without IMEI Checking it first)
So did you manage to use My SoftBank to unlock your iPhone? Did iPhone IMEI Unlock method worked for you? Do you need further help in order to unlock a SoftBank iPhone?
Leave a comment below and tell us. Until next time, take care iPhone Unlockers.