With 10 years of iPhone network unlock experience, the iPhones locked in Softbank were the ones that caused the most problems.
Softbank has very strict SIM unlock policies and it is impossible to unlock a Softbank iPhone unless you are the one who first purchased the device.
Many unlocking companies took advantage of this feature by creating third-party services for Softbank.
- But are they capable of unlocking your Japanese iPhone?
- Is your iPhone compatible with any of these?
- How can you be sure that they will be successful?
- How do you get your money back if they fail?
Let’s take a look at all the existing methods of unlocking a Softbank iPhone as well as their pros and cons.
How to SIM Unlock Softbank in 2020
After testing on more than 500 Softbank iPhones, here are all the ways to unlock, from the cheapest to the most expensive.
- Unlock an iPhone Softbank jp free through the network itself
- Softbank Unlock SIM Cards
- Official iPhone Unlock using the IMEI number
1. Unlock a Softbank jp iPhone for free through the network services
Softbank, as required by law, allows customers to request SIM lock deactivation (In order to remove the SIM Not Supported “blockage”).
As with all networks, Softbank has also made this process complicated and very rigorous and in my opinion, has the most complex unlocking policy I have ever seen.
- First of all, you have to be more than a Softbank customer but actually the person who initially bought the iPhone and signed a contract with them
- Obviously, if the device is blacklisted or there are unpaid bills (Check how to unlock an iPhone with unpaid bills) you are not going to unlock it through Softbank this way. Even if neither is true the limitations are so many and it would be good to know the full status of your iPhone first before applying for Softbank unlock to avoid further problems.
Once you know everything, you should carefully read Softbank unlock policy and check if your iPhone is eligible.
Softbank gives you 2 options for unlocking your mobile:
- Via the My Softbank application (FREE)
- By visiting a Softbank store (¥3,000 or about $28)
a) My Softbank SIM Unlock FREE
To use this app it is necessary to know the initial phone number of the iPhone you want to unlock as well as the password of My Softbank.
You should also be fluent in Japanese, but a simple Google Translate will help you complete the process easily.
b) Visiting a Softbank Store
Of course, you have to be in Japan to find Softbank stores. If you do not know Japanese, there are 5 shops that can help you in English, but you are required to inform them in advance and make an appointment.
Once you find a Softbank store near you, grab your iPhone and ¥3,000 and ask if your Softbank mobile can be unlocked. If the answer is no, let’s examine the alternatives.
2. Softbank Unlock SIM Cards
Until a few years ago, special SIM Cards were available with prices ranging from $5 up to $30. Putting them on a Softbank iPhone and changing some settings could temporarily unlock it.
You have probably heard of RSIM, XSIM, TurboSIM, GPP, Heicard, and other similar products and the truth is that they used to work although they had very serious side effects that could even cause damage to your device.
The problem is that none of them work, from iOS 10 onwards. Nevertheless, many companies, taking advantage of Softbank SIM unlock SIM Cards’ former reputation as well as their extremely low price and continue to sell them. I would advise you not to fall into their trap.
You can read more in our iPhone SIM Unlock post.
3. Softbank Official iPhone Unlock (aka Factory or IMEI Unlock)
Basically, Official iPhone Unlock is the only third-party service that can permanently unlock a Softbank iPhone just like the network but with more advantages.
- You don’t need to be a Softbank customer, ideal for all of you who have a used iPhone
- You can finally unlock iPhones that are blacklisted or have unpaid bills
But this doesn’t mean that there are no preconditions. Apart from the model, there are also small details here that may make your iPhone incompatible with Official iPhone Unlock.
Most SIM unlock companies that support this service, recommend that your device should meet all the requirements but don’t warn you what will happen otherwise.
I will tell you: They will not give you your money back when it fails by putting the blame on you.
But there is no need to fall for this.