- 1 Pros and Cons of ALL available iPhone Unlocking options
- 1.1 1. Official IMEI Unlocking Options for your iPhone
- 1.2 2. Network iPhone Unlocking Options through Carriers’ services
- 1.3 3. Jailbreaking Software Unlocking Options for your iPhone
- 1.4 4. Beware of the other Software iPhone Unlocking Options
- 1.5 5. Hardware iPhone Unlocking options
- 1.6 6. SIM Unlocking options with codes for your iPhone
- 1.7 7. iPhone Unlocking options from YouTube Unlock Tutorials
- 2 Summarizing your iPhone Unlocking options
If you search for iPhone Unlocking Options, you will immediately find plenty of them but make no mistake:
Only a couple iPhone Unlocking options work!
Let’s put every single one of them to the test and see which unlocking options are the best for our iPhones!
Until the end of this article, you will know exactly how to unlock your iPhone with 100% successful results!
Pros and Cons of ALL available iPhone Unlocking options
I will start with the best iPhone Unlocking options in 2016 and then I will continue with others not so reliable unlocking solutions and a few iPhone Unlocking scams!
I am 100% positive that nothing will change for iPhone unlocking in 2017!
1. Official IMEI Unlocking Options for your iPhone
The best iPhone Unlocking method ever is the Official IMEI Unlock Method, also known as Factory Official Unlock Method!
This method finds your iPhone, using the iPhone’s IMEI number, inside Apple’s GSX databases and Carriers’ servers! (click here if you don’t know how to find an iPhone’s IMEI number)
From there, it simply alters the iPhone’s SIM Lock Status from Locked to Unlocked!
To use the Factory Official Unlock Method, you will need:
- The iPhone’s IMEI number
- The iPhone model
- The name of the Carrier which locked the iPhone
- The iPhone’s Blacklist Status
- Permanent Unlock of your iPhone to ALL GSM Mobile Networks Worldwide
- No iPhone model/iOS version/Baseband/Carrier/Country limitations
- It is approved by Apple and all Mobile Networks
- All iPhone features will work flawlessly after the unlock (iTunes, iOS updates, App Store, etc.)
- It won’t spoil Apple Warranty (or AppleCare+/Insurance Plan)
- No jailbreak
- It doesn’t mess with jailbreak status of already jailbroken iPhones
- No iPhone modifying
- PayPal is supported
- 100% successful iPhone Unlock or your money back
- Some IMEI Unlock Providers will tell you that the iPhone is also blacklisted (when it’s not) to make you order a needless Premium IMEI Unlock Service for blacklisted iPhones which is way more expensive
- Some IMEI Unlock Providers are not authorized to use this service and scam you (you can easily spot them out because PayPal won’t be supported)
So, while Official IMEI Unlock Method is flawless, the IMEI Unlock Provider might ruin the results of this method!
An iPhone IMEI Check Service before proceeding with an IMEI Unlock service:
- Ensures that you won’t provide the wrong info
- Reveals EVERYTHING about the iPhone
- Ensures that you won’t get a needless IMEI Unlock Service
- Ensures the success of Factory Unlock Service
So, the cons can be easily eradicated with a simple IMEI Check!
2. Network iPhone Unlocking Options through Carriers’ services
Most Mobile Networks have iPhone Unlocking Services but it will be impossible to use them if you are not the first person who bought the iPhone as new!
If you bought a used locked iPhone you must know personally the seller because, despite the fact that every Mobile Network has its own iPhone SIM Unlock policy, almost all of them will ask the things you see below:
- The original owner’s name and account number
- The account holder’s social security number or password
- The phone number (not yours but the phone number of original owner)
- A finished contract and/or device payment plan
- If the contract has not ended, you might have to pay even $300
- You must have been a customer of this Mobile Network at some point (usually 3-6 months)
- Overseas deployment papers (for example: if you serve in the military and you are in a foreign country)
So, if you are the iPhone’s first owner you should contact your Carrier and see what it takes to SIM unlock your iPhone.
If you are not and you don’t know the iPhone’s original owner don’t bother contacting the Mobile Network!
- There is no way of getting scammed. It is your Carrier after all!
- You can’t use Mobile Networks’ iPhone Unlocking Services without being the original owner or knowing him/her in person
- Some Carriers refuse to unlock your iPhone no matter what
- Some Mobile Networks will rip you off in order to unlock your iPhone
3. Jailbreaking Software Unlocking Options for your iPhone
This was the first iPhone unlocking method and worked perfectly fine until iOS 6.1.6 with iOS version/baseband/bootloader/iPhone model restrictions
- It was FREE
- Worked until iOS 6.1.6
- iOS/Baseband/iPhone Model limitations
- The iPhone Unlock was not permanent (you had to repeat the whole process every single time you updated your iOS or reset your iPhone and of course, you had to wait until the Software Unlock Method supported your updated iOS version)
- Not guaranteed results
- Risks from viruses and bugs
4. Beware of the other Software iPhone Unlocking Options
Many scammers exploited the popularity of original software method and ”invented” new iPhone Unlocking Software Installation tools!
Some of them are advertising as free but trust me, they are not! These companies will ask you for money at some point of the fake iPhone Unlocking process!
It is extremely difficult to find one of them that works! (if you did tell me which one was it because I tested dozens of them)
Of course, all of the support only Credit/Debit card payment methods for 2 reasons:
- You won’t get your money back when all of them will 100% fail
- Others use Malware, Spyware and Trojan in order to compromise your Credit/Debit card account
- You won’t find any pros in this fraud
- They don’t work
- They are not free despite claiming so
- You won’t get a refund
- You will put your Credit/Debit card account in grave danger
- Almost all of them are viruses, Trojan, Malware or Spyware
5. Hardware iPhone Unlocking options
The second iPhone Unlocking method ever created! Dangerous and risky but let me explain why!
One type of Hardware Unlock methods is accomplished by trusting someone opening your iPhone in order to modify it but playing with iPhone’s wires, system boards (or matches) never leads to happy endings! And you can forget your Apple Warranty or AppleCare+!
The second type is the Squeeze Hardware Unlock method! This Hardware Method requires you to buy a SIM card interposer which sits electrically between the SIM card and your iPhone’s SIM tray! You can find these SIM Card clones as Turbo-SIM, X-SIM, R-SIM or Gevey! Despite the fact that you won’t modify your iPhone like before, Apple Warranty and Apple Care+ are still spoiled and your SIM tray might be damaged or even destroyed
But any type of hardware method has the same disadvantages and dangers! Take a look at the pros & cons
- It used to work, so it’s something out of nothing
- You might find a not guaranteed unlocking solution for iPhone 2G/3G/3GS or iPhone 4s/5 with iOS 7 (Yeah… right)
- 30% of iPhone Unlocking success
- iPhone model/iOS/Baseband limitations
- It can’t be used for iPhone 5/5C/5s/6/6+/6s/6s+/SE/7/7+
- Apple Warranty/AppleCare+ are spoiled
- Big chances of damaging your iPhone (lightly or severely)
- Sudden phone call drops
- Bad sound quality
- Noises or white noise on your headphone and speaker
- You won’t get a refund in the 70% cases of failure
6. SIM Unlocking options with codes for your iPhone
Ok, this is maybe a solution for other smartphones but you will never Carrier Unlock an iPhone with a code!
You can find these iPhone unlocking options as NKC code (”network code key” or “network unlock key”) or SIM Network Unlock Pin and both of them are codes that allow some types of smartphones (but not iPhones) to connect to any Carrier.
There are no pros & cons in this case because these network unlocking options are not for iPhones! If you come across one you are looking at a SCAM!
7. iPhone Unlocking options from YouTube Unlock Tutorials
We won’t need pros & cons in this case, also!
None of these YouTube iPhone Unlock Tutorials work! You will just spend time changing your iPhone settings and restarting your iPhone with NO iPhone Unlock results!
Fortunately, none of them will damage your iPhone (I tested more than 20 and they are all harmless)
Summarizing your iPhone Unlocking options
There are only two ways of unlocking your iPhone:
- via Mobile Network’s iPhone unlocking services
- with an Official IMEI Unlock Service
Anything else will bring in money loss, frustration, tantrums and of course, your iPhone will remain SIM locked!
If you still have questions about iPhone unlocking or want me to help you ”network freeing” your iPhone, go ahead and leave a comment below!
Take care iPhone Unlockers!